Growing strong, shiny, luscious hair starts from within! You can buy all the products in the world, but if you’re leaving nutrition out of the picture you won’t see the dramatic results you crave. We need to have the right raw material to create healthy, strong, shiny strands
1. It All Starts With Digestion: We aren’t what we eat, we’re what we digest! You have to properly break down the food for your body to have access to the nutrients.
A good probiotic is a must, and some people with poor digestion may benefit from digestive enzymes.
2. Hemp Hearts: Your hair is mostly made of protein, so it makes sense that we need to make sure we're getting enough in. One of my favorite sources is hemp hearts. They have a mild nutty flavor and can be sprinkled over just about everything! Plus, they're full of beautifying omega-3 fats that hydrate the scalp.
3. Pumpkin Seeds: Pumpkin seeds are a hair superfood. They're full of vitamins and minerals essential for healthy hair, including biotin, zinc, B vitamins, and essential fatty acids.
Sprinkle pumpkin seeds over a salad or add them to a bag of mixed nuts for a healthy snack.
4. Almonds: Are you starting to notice a trend? Healthy fats are SO important for outer beauty because they support inner cell health and promote blood flow.
Almonds are rich in biotin and a little known mineral called silica, which carries nutrients to the hair follicle and smooths brittle hair.
5. Broccoli: What isn't broccoli good for? In the case of hair health, broccoli is a good source of choline.
Choline helps create new hair cells and, when paired with silica, results in stronger and thicker hair.
6. Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate: Dehydration is a one-way ticket to thin and dull hair. Your body will conserve water for your organs, instead of sending it to your hair.
Remember to put down the coffee and get a glass of water in there to hydrate that scalp!
Mikka Knapp, RDN, LDN, CLT